Thursday, July 18, 2019

Hello Again - Notes from after the Camp Fire


Gosh it seems like forever since I last posted and in fact it has been.  On November 8th we lost our home in the Camp Fire in Northern CA.  We have resettled in a small town in North eastern Illinois.  My sister lives here and two of my children are within a little more than an hour away.  My youngest sadly lives much farther from us, but is very good about visiting and staying in touch via FaceTime.  Love the computer for that alone!  Of course my Australian family now can visit the mid-west.

We love our new home and finally have completed all the tasks that were on our to do list...it's now a to done list!  This morning I was reading a post from Ellen Hudson and she talked about customer appreciation day and asked to learn a bit about her customers.  I went there and read many of the comments.  I thought, hey, maybe it's time for me to get active again.  I won't lie, loosing every craft item I've collected and loved was quite a hit to my creative juices.  In the "old world" I touched paper every day.  In my new life I am finding it difficult to begin again.  I've purchased some items, and I've made maybe 4 cards in the past 8 months....I come into my room and I miss my crafting buddies.  Each and every one of them were effected by the awful fire, all but 2 lost their homes.  We, like the embers from the flames were scattered.  Each of us are trying to rebuild and most of them have chosen to give up paper crafting.  I'm ready to say, hey fire, you may have gotten my possessions, but you didn't take my love of paper.  It will be baby steps, and all the dies I used in days gone by are gone, but slowly I am collecting and I promise I'll have a card on line by the end of next week.... now isn't that slow of me.  It won't be fancy, but it will have me touching the craft I love most.

Until next time....Happy Crafting from my world to yours....
Love to all of you....Mary Mac AKA:  Glitter Grammy

13 comments:

  1. I can’t even begin to think of the horror that you have lived through let alone how you have managed to bounce back with such optimism. So glad to hear that you are safe and now near to your family. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to see you getting back in the game. I am sure it has not been easy. I look forward to seeing your beautiful work on upcoming posts. Lots of love and hugs.....P

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to you and your craft buddies was devastating, Mary. I'm so glad you survived and that you are building a new life by starting over in your lovely new home. Sad that you lost so much but in time, hopefully, your stash will be replaced. I look forward to seeing more of your lovely cards in time. Hugs, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear of the progress you've made rebuilding, Mary. I'm a fellow Californian and I know how devastating that fire was. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you back at the crafting on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of your trauma via Pixies Snippets blog - I can only imagine how hard it is for you to get going again and I'd love to send you a card via Diane to help get you back crafting again. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So horrified and grieved at the losses so many sustained. I have a friend now here in Idaho who sold her home and moved from Paradise just a year before the Campfire. Her old house is gone along with so many, many others. Holding you and the other survivors in my thoughts and prayers.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear for the fire via Pixies Snippets blog.
    This is devastating and I can't even imagine how you must feel losing absolutely everything. So glad to hear of the progress you've made rebuilding.
    Hope to see you back at the crafting on a regular basis.
    Hugs, Majda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary, I was pleased of the communication from Pixies Snippets, to know of your re-settlement. We at Sparkles have missed you and have wondered of your progress, I shall be happy to let them know you are slowly but definetly on the road to card making again. Sending you lots of love and hugs, keep positive and let the love of paper come back to you. As you said Campfire will not take everything away from you, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid I hadn't come across you in blogland Mary, but so sorry to hear via Pixie's Playground of your plight, and what a horrendous time you have had, losing everything and moving near to family which hopefully is working out for you, and have also heard from Di that your boiler has not been working, so hope that has been fixed or will be fixed soon. After all the devastating things which have happened it would be great to see you crafting again and hope you soon feel able to get back to it. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again Mary, I not sure if my comment just now disappeared or if it went for comment moderation, but just in case I have written to you and sent a box of items I hope may be of use.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary, Wow you are 1 strong lady. So pleased you're safe and settling into your new home. We are all here for you honey and miss you on Sparkles Christmas challenge. Sending big hugs and love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary . . . Was so sorry to hear of your troubles on Di's blog. Pleased to see you have a new home and are rising to the challenge of starting over. Hoping you will soon receive a little something in the post from me to cheer you.

    Hugs, SaRn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear of your problems from the lovely Di (Pixie Snippets) - hard to imagine what it must be like to lose everything. Hopefully your love of paper crafting will triumph as you slowly get back into the great therapy that is crafting. Look forward to seeing your makes on the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time visiting my blog. And thank you even more for your comments. I LOVE reading each and every one of them. Happy creating!