Sunday, March 29, 2020

Pixie's Crafty Workshop Challenge #374

Hello to all.  In this time of uncertainty, sometimes it's hard to stay upbeat, I think now is the time of must for all of us.  It's funny, a crafter's dream is to stay home and play all day with our toys.  In reality, it seems I am getting little to no crafting done.  In an effort to organize my supplies and send supplies that have been so generously donated to a friend, I must say there is progress.  I packed a box with 14 pounds (6.35 kilograms) which I will send off to California next week.  The supplies will be shared with my crafting friend, and her neighbor who is a single working mom of two autistic boys.  In this time of home schooling, every mom needs craft supplies to occupy time, while teaching a skill to her children.

My hubby and I have also been playing cards, lots and lots of cards.  For a guy with severe visual impairment, he sure can win at cards.  He requires lots of coaching and I'm his vocal advisor telling him what cards are on the piles.  We play May I, a game my sister taught us, and Spite and Malice a game our family has played for years and years.

Our pup is enjoying this stay at home order, as she is being walked often.  If weather permits we are out in it.  I have news for her today, it's too cold, too wet and way to windy, she will be exercising herself in our yard.  Missy also enjoys the couch time we are sharing.  Lots of naps with mom as we watch too much tv.

I did manage to make a snippet card or two. This one was made from a pad of 6x6 Crate Paper, that was generously gifted to me.  There are so many beautiful patterns.  I chose one that I love, but it just was too busy until I covered it with the beautiful flower die, which was also gifted.  I cut this die and then put it aside because I just couldn't find anything I liked to put with it.  So my snippet is the quarter page die cut, that I placed over the floral piece.  I don't know if you can really see the stripe portion that frames the piece, it is one I use to cut some leaf dies and I used some of those leaves for another card.  When I am cutting card to use to cut small dies, I always cut the card to 4 1/4 x 5 1/2.  Usually that size will give me a piece I can drop cut for use in a border.  I drop cut the outside piece and used it as another snippet.  You can see a bit of more snippet pieces peeking out from the inside of the card.

Everything was glued to a white 65# card.  I use Roxanne Glue-Baste-It glue, which quilters will be familiar with.   I love this glue and one thing I really like, it's washable, so when I use my pants as wipe rags, I can wash the glue out.  Trust me, my pants have seen lots of glue.  The downside, you can't wash your cards, but then I must say, most people don't purposely wash greeting cards....or do they?  I did not add a sentiment as I will add one when I am ready to post my card.  I do like this card and it isn't at all like I originally planned.  I think that's the fun of crafting, my cards usually don't end up as they originally thought they would.

I will be adding this card to Pixie's Crafty Workshop #374.  I hope you hop over to see all the inspiration on her blog page.

I told my hubby that I'd be crafting today and if he was a good boy, later today, I'd give him the opportunity to beat me at cards.  I guess I should get crafting.  I know he's already planning his big wins!

In this time of voluntary or mandatory isolation, if anyone needs a chat, send me an email.  I'm always up to meeting new friends and in this day of quarantine, sometimes it's nice to know we are not alone.  It's so sad that the entire world is sharing our pain.  I do know we will get through this.  Please stay safe, stay diligent.  And we will celebrate soon.

Love to all,
GlitterGrammy
AKA: Mary Mac

10 comments:

  1. A fabulous card Mary - I love the design.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card!! I LOVE this idea for a quick and easy card using patterned paper behind the die cut. It's gorgeous. The glimpse of the inside I can catch looks as pretty as the outside, too! Wonderful way to use the scraps from the rest of the 6x6 piece. I want to look at my dies and see which ones would be pretty on a card like this!! <3

    I, too, seem to be getting very little done in this down-time. I am home all the time, anyway, so this hasn't really changed my lifestyle....but I think I have been weighed down with the suffering and hardship all over the world that I read about from the virus. I know the One who holds the future, though, so I am not worried....just hurting for those who are in distress. I really think that has taken a toll on my creativity.

    I am encouraged to read your post, though, Mary. It is such a positive thing that you are sharing your supplies with others. I hope these gifts raise their spirits during this time.

    Take care and stay healthy.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card, Mary. I'm glad to see you making some beautiful creations. I also love playing cards, too. Oh boy, I know your friends will enjoy getting some "new to them" crafting supplies. It's really sweet of you to share with them. Stay healthy! [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful card Mary - love the paper you have used under the die cut panel.
    Sounds as though you and your DH have as much fun with cards and games as we did! The last game my DH could see to play was rummikub, and we had some hilarious times over that.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very pretty card Mary. Super use of your gifted items. That flower die is a tease showing the lovely paper beneath its cut outs.

    Sending you positive vibes for a win at cards today!

    Waving from a safe distance,
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is a beautiful snippets make and I love those pretty papers peeking through the die-cuts! It's wonderful you are sharing your stash with friends elsewhere - I've often thought it would be a great idea to set up a swap club of craft supplies on a regular basis because we all tire of using the same things after a while. I never heard of any of the card games you play and it sounds like fun. I just pulled all the cards from a drawer and decided to donate them since we don't use them anymore. Enjoy your down time and your card games and take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your beautiful roses die cut. That patterned paper looks great peeking through. Great way to tone down really bold and busy papers. We've pulled out some old board games and my hubby does jigsaw puzzles to keep himself busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an absolutely beautiful card Mary, love the use of DP under the die cut backgroubd, that was a flash of brilliance there! It's a reminder i need to do likewise more often!
    Praying you're all well there.. lovely you shared your goodies with others too!
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and all you love, and keep you well in these troubled times. In God we trust.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Mary - what a stunning card! How you popped the busy paper behind the wonderful white die cut front of the card is just gorgeous. Also, it's so sweet of you to share your craft goodies with friends - it will be such a boost for them.

    Sending you lots of love

    Hugs

    Di

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time visiting my blog. And thank you even more for your comments. I LOVE reading each and every one of them. Happy creating!