Saturday, January 9, 2010

Birthdays and Friends

I have a sister-in-law, that I must admit I have not made many cards. There is no excuse or reason. Knowing her birthday is coming up quickly, I wanted to make her a card that would honor her and challenge me. For this card, I went out of my box and I'm glad I did. I'm going to apologize now....during the week I was reading blogs I follow and I was also checking blogs for those who entered challenges. I saw a card that I really liked and I made a mental note. I told myself to bookmark it and then promptly moved on to something else (that's a trait I seem to have developed all to often lately). Last night I decided it was time to make a card similar to the one that inspired me. Well guess what....I can't remember where I'd seen it. So, calling on my memory....that's scary, I sketched out what I thought the card looked like. I remembered a lined piece of card stock and some rubber stamped flowers. I also remembered a dotted strip and a ribbon. The photo above is what I made. If anyone has seen a similar card...please let me know. I'd love to give credit to the one who inspired me. I'd also like to see how closely my card resembles the inspiration card.

Now to give more credit. Karen, the owner of Paradise Scrapbook Boutique , has forced me out of my box and into the world of layering. Had it not been for classes I'd taken from her over, especially the past year, this card would not have been possible. Karen is the queen of layering. She has a wonderful eye for patterns and colors. Things I never would have put together I am attempting. Papers I would never have purchased, I am purchasing and using. Thanks Karen!

This is what I used to make the card: The card stock is from Prima - Mango Cherries and Chintzy. I also used a piece of scrap for the dotted piece. The gems are also Prima. All of the Prima products were purchased from Paradise Scrapbook Boutique The sentiment is from Stampin Up, the flowers are from Posh Impressions. The ribbon is from my stash.

I have to say, this card did challenge me and I am excited to give it to my sister-in-law.

Now....On to sharing a beautiful project made by my friend Carolyn. She is amazing and she inspires me every day. Not just when crafting, but always. She is a person I can confide in, she shares my love of paper, she keeps me on the straight and narrow when it comes to Weight Watchers (well...she tries!) and she laughs....she's the kind of person who attracts people to her because she is so positive. She is a very talented card creator....below is the card she sent me to celebrate the season. I love sparkle....this card has it's share. If you left click on the photo it will enlarge and the sparkles are better seen. Her card stock matches so well, the ribbon ties it together and the sentiment says it all. What's amazing about all of this....Carolyn hates winter, she's our little summer girl! For someone who dislikes the cold, she certainly captured the feeling of winter. Carolyn....thank you for sharing your card with me and allowing me to share it with others.

I'm off....I'm going to clean house today....oh sure, we've heard that before! This time I'm not going to start in my craft room!

Have a wonderful week!

3 comments:

  1. Both cards a amazing! Your beautiful and I'm sure you sister in law will cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary, you are too sweet - you don't need any inspiration you make beautiful cards! And you are right about Carolyn she is such a wonderful person! I'm lucky to know both of you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Birthday card and I'm sure your sister-in-law will love it as much as I do. Can't wait for April so we can play with paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending time visiting my blog. And thank you even more for your comments. I LOVE reading each and every one of them. Happy creating!